Jessi gave herself 4 shots Tuesday using the Novolog Jr. Pen and syringes!!
Check that one off the list! And too funny because just Sunday we were talking with my Aunt and Uncle about Cale giving himself shots...I'll bet she heard and figured she better get on that train! Ha!
Really though, we were so proud of her. I would have never imagined my daughter at almost 10 would have to give herself an injection. Multiple ones even. In one day.
We had a conversation about going to friends houses and how she was going to have to learn to do the pen because some parents may not want to give her a shot, and that was ok because it's a huge responsibility and the pen would make things much easier. Her friends parents are my friends and they're ok with doing it, but we wanted Jes to understand that ultimately it's her responsibility if she wants to go somewhere. (talk about a sucky conversation to have)
This was also a result of her choice to go back to MDI...because honestly, it would be easier if she were on her pump. It's hard not to tell her that, and we've only mentioned it once, but honestly....I so wish she was back on her pump again. sigh. BUT....
All that for this.........she gave herself shots! Pen and no pen! Lantus even! yea!

6 Comments:
Go Jessi! That's awesome!
I know how much I'd want my girl back on the pump so I have NO IDEA how you are handling this and not just going totally mad! And yeah, a sucky conversation for sure.
But shots are BIG DEAL! Way to go!
Wow! That's great. I don't even know if I could give myelf one :)
GOOOO JESSI!!!
YEAH JESSI!!!! you go girl!!!
Tracie...totally know how you feel about the pump, but Cale has gotten to be a PRO with his injections. It has even gotten to the point that if he is at a friend's house and is eating, he calls me with his BG, tells me what he is eating, I tell him how much he needs and he sits on the phone and talks me through pulling up the insulin (no pen...syringe!!!) and he's done!! Yet another step in the "I'm growing up" process...SUCKS!!!! He also just had camp last week (post to come soon) and learned how to give himself the shot in his arm with the syringe. Next step, he needs a job!!!!
The other day, he was over at his friend's house and I called to just check up on him. His response, "Mom, I have been doing this for 3 years, I know what to do!!!" JEEZ!!!!!
Talk to you soon!!!!!
I know how awesome it is when they start sharing the responsibility!! Wonderful freedom. Little things make all the difference!
HIP HIP HOORAY! So happy to share this victory with your beautiful family :)
wow jess that is great I had so much trouble giving myself shots at 16 so go figure ten is great .
Post a Comment