Friday April 2, 2010. R.I.P. pink Ping.
Jessi decided to take a 'pump vacation' from her Animas Ping. Her sites were wreaking havoc on her tummy and she had had enough. She would itch them to the point of almost being infected. Neosporin didn't work, Hydrocortizone didn't work. Then then IV3000's were put down first, then the inset. That seemed to help. But it was too late. That only happened twice. Her mind was made up!
After calls to the Endo, we got set up with Novolog cartridges for the pen and Lantus and the pen. The Dr. is all for a break from the pump. In fact, he encouraged it for her. He feels that if she wanted to do this, it was a good idea. It would give her some sense of control over this disease and could very possibly help with possible rebellion issues in the future. Meaning, she might be less imposed to rebell if she felt she had a say so in her care. Ok, makes a little sense. He also felt that maybe after a few months or so, she might decide that the pump was actually better care for her, and go back to it. He's had this experience before and just recently with some patients as well.
Ok, so it all sounds good in that perspective. But, really? She'll take 4 shots or more a day over 10 site insertions in a month? Learn how to use the insulin pen for play dates at someone else's house instead of calling me and pushing some buttons for doses? Going back to that leg shot of Lantus that hurts? Yep. She would.
Now, we've welcomed back an old friend......
I don't like this friend. She leaves bruises. Makes Jessi bleed sometimes. Stings Jessi's legs nightly while injecting Lantus. She can impale unsuspecting fingertips in the middle of the night while being recapped. And she needs her life partner Novolog to be with her at all times. She's an attention hog in public. She requires her own carry pouch and room in the medicine cabinet for her box house. Not to mention she needs to be paid for in order to use her services.
BUT.......
I love her because she lets me see what she's doing as opposed to her friend the pen. She's not hurting Jessi, despite her appearance. She's instrumental in keeping Jessi alive. She reminds me that I have a working, functioning, capable brain, not to mention killer skills at drawing insulin into her under any circumstances.
So I guess this friend can stay awhile.
I do miss her advanced cousin Ping though. Oh the times we've had. The bolusing in secret. Doses through walls (yes, through the walls at school and bedroom). Not having to roll Jessi over in the middle of the night to dose in an arm or tummy. The phone calls from friends houses to guide Jes in dosing herself with the push of a few buttons. The security in not forgetting to bring along the Insulin. The freedom to have a day date for lunch with the Mr. while the nurse doses at school. (I've been told Jes doesn't want the nurse to dose her by shot, we'll see) The ability to dose Jes while driving......there's no hands free law against insulin delivery!
But, I'm whining. Whoa is me. Poor mommy. whaaaaaaa!
Whatever it takes to give my daughter a break from something that was bothering her so much her skin changed.
Whatever it takes to have Jessi gain confidence knowing she CAN make decisions about her care.
Whatever it takes to see her so incredibly happy that first night to be 'free' from the pump and to hear her brag about it to friends and the school nurses.
Whatever it takes to help her feel 'normal' while living with diabetes.
Even if it takes crying alone after that first return shot to Lantus and peeking in on pink Ping from time to time, knowing it's only a matter of time.
It's not about me. It's for her, and it's been good.

6 Comments:
Welcome to my world!!!
Cale is slowly considering going back on the pod. He is still afraid of how it will feel on his skin. The rep at the OmniPod booth gave us something else to try and I told him that whenever he is ready, we will start it again. To be quit honest, I hope he waits until after summer. Less worries with sweat, swimming, him being a boy and having the adhesive come loose.
He has his endo appointment in just over an hour. We shall see how he did 3 full months back on shots!!
Have you tried Jessi's tummy for the Lantus? That's where Cale takes it cuz he takes 14 units and there is more fat for him. Also, it may hurt because it is cold. I've heard that from A LOT of people. Just a suggestion. I also agree with the syringe. I hate that with the pen it is either a full unit or add a half. I am a freakin pro with going in between the 1/2 unit mark and full until mark on the syringe when I feel he needs a tad bit more or a hair less!!!
Letting Jessi make the decision is exactly what we are doing with Cale. It is after all their bodies and their decision.
I wanted to cry last night when Cale dropped so fast at bedtime after getting 2 units of insulin not even an hour prior for a snack. I was feeding him juice and a sandwich and made a comment about checking him during the night. He apologized to me. I'm like, there is nothing that you need to apologize for. It isn't your fault. (Deep down, it was mine...he had basketball last night and I totally spaced it out when I factored his insulin). I told him this what I do. I take care of him no matter what and if that means less sleep so that he is healthy...oh well. It's in my job description (unlike what my neighbor thinks...but that is a whole other story). I just fell right back to sleep the minute the bus pulled away!!
Ok...now that I have taken up most of your comment space...
Love ya!!!!
I am so proud of you! It takes a lot of love to let your child do her own thing. I think they would have to pry that pump out of my cold dead fingers before we went back to MDI...but we both know, if I were in your shoes...I would do the same thing. They need to make their own way.
So I cry with you, and I pray for a happier daughter...and a happy mommy as a result. :) ((HUGS))
Oh dear- I'm with Meri on this one. I would cry and have a FIT if she wanted to stop the pump. It would not be pretty. I feel for you girl. That just plain sucks. I hope you find MDI to be a blessing and that it works out for you!! (((hugs)))
I think you did a good thing mom. I am sure it was hard, but if it does give her a sense of responsibility... that is a great compromise for sure.
Thanks for posting this... I may need to remember how to handle this some day :)
My son takes the shots; he won't even consider the pump yet. So I don't know much about them. But I have found a couple moms whose kids were having problems with their sites. I looked up your pump and couldn't tell, but their kids were allergic to the teflon needle and switched to stainless - problem solved. I really don't know anything about them, so forgive me if what I shared has no value. :0)
I do know that I've given my son the control over his care as much as I can and he's proud of himself.
I cannot imagine going back to MDI but you totally did the right thing. It actually made me tear up thinking about how hard it must be for you. Well, I was thinking about how hard it would be for me too!
I wish you both the very best with the MDI. I know you guys will ROCK IT!
Post a Comment