Monday, February 15, 2010

Wax Museum and HIGH numbers

Saturday we went to Hollywood for Ashlee's 14th birthday choice. She wanted to bring her cousin, so we did, and we went to the new Madame Toussau's Interactive Wax Museum on Hollywood Boulevard. We also lingered around Mann's Chinese Theatre looking at the hand/footprints. When we were done, we headed to a garlic restaurant on La Cienega Blvd. called The Stinkin' Rose.......mmmmmm good!

Hollywood is SO different than I remember it when my husband and I were dating. Back then it was a grundgy kinda experience with an air of unknown and cruising. We were different people back then as well, so the things we did were daring, stupid and illegal. Fun too, but once you grow up and have a family and change who you are, things are in a definate different perspective!

Hollywood Boulevard now is incredibly annoying. Opportunists are everywhere either dressed up as a character....spongebob, yoda, freddy krueger, woody & buzz, spiderman.....or doing something and wanting you to take pictures with them and then tip them for it. My husband knew this, I however, am naive and got suckered into a photo with yoda and Jessi. When he told me he did this for tips, I tipped him $2. Boy was I miffed! First off, I wouldn't have chosen yoda (sorry Cale) and his mask was really cheap looking to boot. Then we come upon some break dancers.......not too bad, but doing it for tips as well. We left that crowd and went to go eat linner, it was around 4pm.

Once we got home, the fun really began. At about 8:45pm I took my neice home and drove through Starbucks for Ash and went to Baskin Robbins for me. When I got home, Jessi had a major meltdown about the Starbucks and when she finally checked her blood sugar, after telling her to for about 30 min..........the meter said HIGH over 600. WTH?!?!

Grabbed the pump, dosed for high bg, waited about an hour and checked her again. HIGH over 600. Huh? How high dammit?

On dad's prodding, I checked her site. I wasn't going to, but he was annoying me, so I did. She had about 3 IV3000's on there from earlier in the day because the site was coming unglued and we wanted to keep it from coming off. So as I removed them slowly, the last one revealed that her site was completely out of her skin! Crap! Good thing he bugged me. There was no sign that it had recently come out either, you know... no fresh hole, so that told me that it probably had come out sometime on the drive home after dinner.

Grab the insulin, measure out 4 units, in the tummy it goes. The fit she had about getting a shot was insane! She didn't want it, was acting hysterical, it was nuts! After she got it.....she proceeded to tell us she wasn't using the pump anymore, that she was going back to shots. After she calmed down again, I put numbing solution on her and we got her new site in and insulin going again. 3 hours after this discovery, we finally got a reading of 444 and only moderate keytones the whole time. Hey, any number lower than HIGH is a good number. So about 6 hours after the whole thing went down, she was back into a nice safe 246, and woke up at 96.

That was a first for us since pumping. The new site's doing fine and she's been good since Saturday night. What a sleepless stressful night it was!

Here's some pictures with the wax people......















5 Comments:

Lora said...

How neat. That looks so fun. Thanks for sharing the pics...

Meri said...

That looks like a blast! Sucky about the high though. Been there, done that. I don't know how I would handle it if one of my boys said they wanted off the pump. I think I would probably just lay down and die right there on the spot. I'm sorry! I hope she feels better about it at the next site change!

Hallie Addington said...

That looks like so much fun!!! The museum - not the HI. I'm so sorry you had to go thru that - although I am a little bit glad to hear that other children have meltdowns and pumps and shots and such. I thought it was just us! Hope you have much better numbers now!

Lauren said...

Wow! How creepy is the wax Robin Williams?!?! And, you better hope that Tiger wasn't giving James any advice...

Shamae (Ghost written by Loren her hubby) said...

Well the wax museum looks AWESOME!! Holy cow!

But the high numbers are scary!! Wow...Good job getting them down.

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online