Thursday, February 11, 2010

Not ready for this !

Last night was the meeting at the High School for the GATE program (Gifted and Talented Education) kids who automatically qualify because of their state test scores and GPA's.

Science, English and Math. She has an appointment in 2 weeks to set up the class schedule for the program. The information was given to us, and the teachers were there to briefly discuss their classes and what to expect and talk a little to the kids about the program.

I'd like to think she could handle Geometry for the math, and the other 2 classes as well. She's not so sure about the math. She's already doing Algebra, got an A the first report card and a B+ this last report card. So,....ok... it's a little hard, but without the challenge...she'll be bored. I know she can handle it, but we'll see what happens in the interview. The interview is mainly to set up the Honors classes and make sure the kids really can handle it and aren't being pushed by their parents. They did say that after all, the kids are taking the classes, not the parents. Ok, they're out for the well being of the kids. They even pointed out the four year plan of courses and the advantage with College prep and acceptance.

WAIT !!

HOLD ON !!!

She's still in 8th grade. This is WAY too much to process!
I. DON'T. WANT. TO. DO. THIS.

It's inevitable, it's coming ready or not. (NOT!) It's exciting and scary and I feel like a damn zombie today!

Reality check........little bit of a life shock........I'll be ok..........................CLEAR!!!!!!

5 Comments:

Meri said...

High school is very overwhelming...I totally know. But she'll be ready. My son is taking Geometry in 9th this year, and he loves it.

It really all depends on the teacher. Great teachers make the kids feel empowered, bad teachers make them feel small.

She can do it!! She is a smartie. :)

Lora said...

Oh.. I DREAD this!

Lauren said...

I think she'll do great! As I recall, Geometry was fun - and easier than Algebra (although I would love to sit and solve for "X" all day if I could - those problems rocked!)

Do you know anything about the teachers?

Wendy said...

WOW! Congrats!!!!!!!

:) Tracie said...

I think she'll be fine too.

I don't know much about these teachers, but then again I didn't about the ones she had in Jr High either and they turned out ok. (with the exception of the current history teacher and his one sided democratic opinions)

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online