Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Tornado Warning



Seriously?!?!?

I'm sure Meri can attest to the horrible rainy weather we're having here in Southern California. But can you believe there was an actual tornado warning this afternoon?

There was a tornado spotted near the beach around one-ish this afternoon and that sparked the news to go berzerk with reports. The National Weather System warned of tornados due to the severe thunderstorms going on at the time.

So the severe weather was pretty much upon us when it happened.......

...........I bought into the hype..............and yanked both my girls outta school to be at home in the actual case that an actual tornado was coming.

I called James at work and told him to go get my oldest daughter and I went and got my youngest. She immediately got hysterical crying and carring on about not wanting to die and that we needed to get underground NOW! We got home and let the big dogs in and kept the little dog in her cage and went into the fourth bedroom because we had no clue where else to go.

Needless to say...............nothing happened. No tornado. Lotta rain and dark eerie skies, but no tornado. All to end up with sunny skies and a dry spell for awhile.

Talk about feeling STUPID !

Let me just say that I grew up not far from Chicago so I've been through a couple of tornado warnings in my day. But I've lived in California now for 22 years. So I guess panic is the word for today. I suppose I digressed for about a two hour span there where I forgot that I live in sunny Southern California and not tornado alley. Hindsight of course makes this whole thing hysterical, and I only called two friends during my panic attack (who didn't remove their children by the way). I was told , however, that other parents were removing their kids from school as well. So I wasn't the only one. Does that make me feel better? Not really, just proves the crazies were running the asylum!

I guess when asked what I'm afraid of.....I should say tornadoes!

Now earthquakes.............no problem, bring it on! They do not scare me what-so-ever. Make me a little nervous when the shaking goes on for a bit, but no real fear like a tornado brings. Go figure!

5 Comments:

Amy said...

I grew up in Iowa in the heart of tornado alley and saw with my own 5 year old eyes one of the largest F-5 tornadoes that ever hit the state. Yes...they are something to be feared!!! I, too, would rather live here in Alaska with earthquakes that aren't so hit and miss like tornadoes are....I don't see the logic in that, but oh well!

Meri said...

OH! MY! GOSH!!!!!!

I would have done the same thing! I totally buy into the hype...that is why I'm pretty much banned from watching the news. :(

They are preparing us for an even bigger storm tomorrow! Hold on to your hats! Or better yet, hold on to your children!

Hallie Addington said...

You are a riot! It's better to be safe than sorry so don't give it another thought! I actually saw a tornado once - crazy! It was kinda cool and scary at the same time. I was 17 so of course, I'd think that! Hope you stay dry! :)

Andrea said...

Tornadoes ROCK!!!!! Two years ago, in JANUARY, we had a tornado come through our teeny tiny town here in Northern Illinois. Took out the coolest apple orchard (not the trees, just the barn and fun stuff). I actually have a picture of it on my cell phone taken from my front yard. I am a nut and wanted to stay out there, but the boys were screaming and crying for me to come in and go into the basement. I actually love when I hear the siren go off!!!! Maybe I need help? NAH!!!!!

Lauren said...

I think the bathroom would have been the safest spot...I'm just sayin'.

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online