Monday, December 21, 2009

Email devotionals

Pastor James McDonald is one of my all time favorite Pastors to listen to. He has a church in Elgin, IL called Harvest Bible Chapel. No coincidence that I like him, I'm from around there! Hope you like him too...check out http://walkintheword.com/


Light Up the Night

"And this is the judgment: the light has come into the world, and people loved the darkness rather than the light because their works were evil. For everyone who does wicked things hates the light and does not come to the light, lest his works should be exposed. But whoever does what is true comes to the light, so that it may be clearly seen that his works have been carried out in God." - John 3:19-21


One of the favorite traditions of the Christmas season is to turn on the Christmas tree lights and light up the night. Who doesn't love decorating the Christmas tree, then turning out all the other lights in the room to enjoy the ambience of the twinkling lights? Even a single candle burns brightly against the backdrop of darkness.


This tradition is well suited to the real celebration of the season. John 3:19 says that when Jesus Christ was born, the light came into the world. In fact, more than two hundred times in the Bible, God is described as light. Figuratively and literally, whenever God appears, light appears. It happened in the beginning when God created the heavens and the earth, and it will happen at the end of time; the book of Revelation tells us that in hell there will only be darkness and in heaven there will only be light.


Have you ever been in some pitch-black place when you couldn't even see your hand in front of your face? That's what life is like without Jesus. You can't fully appreciate the light until you feel the weight of the darkness.


If you feel lost, alone, and trapped - searching but not finding - Jesus Christ is the light.


If you feel cruelly crushed under the wrongs done to you, Jesus Christ is the light.


If you feel perplexed by an issue or circumstance that you can't figure out, Jesus Christ is the light.


Maybe loneliness, despair, and confusion describe you. If you want to know the way out, you first have to admit that you’re in darkness. You may not be ready to die, but you're also not fully living. You don't see any purpose to life, and you don't see any hope worth trusting. But all that can change right now.


Like any other genuine follower of Christ, nothing made sense to me either before I turned to Jesus. I couldn't sort out anything in this mixed-up world. But since receiving Jesus as my Savior, I understand what's going on. Although life still isn't perfect, and never will be until eternity, I realize what my own sin does to my life. Suddenly Christmas is so much more than a stale exchange of gifts and some silly guy in a red suit. At Christmas those of us who know Him celebrate the forgiveness of sin that can be found only in Jesus, the gift of Christmas.

3 Comments:

Meri said...

So true! I remember going to a play with my son's kindergarten class, they turned out the lights right before the curtain went up and it was pitch black. In the back of the auditorium there was one small white light shining. Every one of the children immediately turned to look at the light...the parents stayed looking forward...uncomfortable in the darkness...just waiting for the curtain to rise. A good five minutes passed and the curtain was still down...one by one the adults started to turn, to look at the light for some comfort.

At the time I thought that was such a true metaphor for our lives. Children instinctively look towards the light (or the good.)...grown-ups need to learn to do the same. There is nothing comforting or adult about enduring darkness.

Wendy said...

Man, Tracie...

How did you know I needed this today??? Today I'm feeling in a pit of darkness. I'm running in a circle of human emotions that are really bringing me down!!!!!!!

Thanks for this uplifting reminder that days like this don't have to stay like this. I just need to reconnect with the light.

Merry CHRISTmas

Hallie Addington said...

Beautiful, Tracie! I love having just the tree lights on- so pretty. And I love the way the Christmas lights cut thru the darkness. Back when, before I was married I lived in a condo that backed into a "woods". They would light up this little fir tree with colored lights at Christmas. I loved looking out the upstairs window and seeing that little tree. It made me happy! Thanks for sharing!

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online