Monday, September 21, 2009

Anyone see this?


Remember awhile back there was some controversy about Oliver having Diabetes on this show and how they were being very knuckleheaded about it?

I thought with all the concern, Disney had opted to not show that particular episode.

Not anymore.

Apparently when a popular show is over due to the star wanting to persue a more adult signing career, episodes can be aired and content is needed.

So last night, Jessi is watching Hannah Montana and low and behold it's the Diabetes episode. Now, I didn't see the whole show from the start, but I did watch was (I felt) acceptable.

Somehow Miley and her friend Lily found out from the school nurse that Oliver had a secret and it was revealed that it was diabetes and not that he was dating someone. Then a sweet 16 party involved the girls trying to keep him away from all the cupcakes,brownies,etc that were at the party and resulted in the girls telling him they knew he had Diabetes. The girls were really obnoxious about eating all the sweets so he didn't and even taking a few things out of his hands. Once Oliver knew they knew, he said he kept it a secret because he knew they would act the way that they did and he didn't want them to worry about him. He then goes on to say that with proper insulin management, a balanced diet, and this machine to track his blood sugar.....he pulls out a small wannabe glucometer....that he can live a healthy life and can actually eat those kind sweets, even though they thought he couldn't. Then he looks down at the meter and says his blood sugar was a little low and that if they hadn't ate everything, he could actually enjoy one of the baked goodies right then. (wonder if it was a CGM not a meter) So then out they go to stop by some place to eat before they go home.

Then, at the end of the show, Oliver, Hannah, Lily and Jackson all talked about what they "learned today" on the show. Oliver then reitterated the whole insulin management, balanced diet information and the girls expressed how they learned to be supportive and informed. Before the end credits, there was a shout out to JDRF!

I welled up and left the room thinking "good for you Disney.....good for you".

I suppose when you have a real life popular male singer living with Diabetes and having his own show with his brothers, then you are more informed and likely to do the right thing, or risk losing your main money maker in dealing with the Jonas Brothers.


Thanks Nick Jonas for waking up kids across America by advocating for Diabetes and influencing a major player in the entertainment industry! And thanks Miley Cirus for getting it right.

2 Comments:

Amy said...

I had read somewhere last week that this episode was back and I was hoping to catch it. I'm glad you saw it and I'm glad they handled things appropriately. I'll have to watch for a rerun! Thanks for the review!

Andrea said...

Yeah...right! Hannah Montana on in my house??? If they were hormonal teenagers, sure, but that now it would be punishment!!!

I will (for my sake) watch out for the rerun!!

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online