Here's my first pit stop on the road to mad......heh heh
When I buy produce from the grocery store, I bring it home and put it in it's respectful drawer. Fruit goes in one, veggies in the other. And the tomatoes go in with the veggies in this house! I don't care that they are considered a fruit. Phooey!
When I want to make something or eat a fruit or vegatable, I wash it. Not just run the water over and wipe it off, but grab the sponge and soapy wash it.
Apparently this isn't how it's supposed to be done. According to my worldly oldest, it makes things soggy and gross. Oh, and Nani says you don't have to, she thinks it weird too.
Well excuuuuuse moi!
I have to admit as a child I never did wash with soapy nothin' on my fruits and veggies (remember Nani's my mommy and it's weird). But as an adult in my "fruitful" years (you bet that pun was intended) I've seen the difference.
For instance.....
1. fruits and vegatables fall off their spots and land and roll on the floor all the time. (No fault of mine...ever....really......smirk)
2. kids who put their fingers in their mouths touch the fruits and veggies all the time.
3. said kids also wipe and pick their noses and touch and even put those fallen fruits and veggies back in place.....by order of their moms. (let's face it, men DO NOT shop with kids...let alone grocery shop with kids, or at all for that matter)
4. what about those kids who almost get a bite off on a fruit or veggie but are stopped by their mom
5. and for those non bagged items, come on, that conveyor belt at the check out is nasty!
6. can you really rely on the companies that sell produce to wash off the pesticides
7. what about the workers in the field picking the produce.........have they had their shots?
8. think about where mushrooms are grown....nuf said
9. what about all the underground produce and the furry critters burrowing by
10. good points huh?
So for all that non washing I did as a child.......EeeewwwW!
See my point now about soapy washing produce my little Miss smarty pants?
It probably wouldn't hurt to actually save a step and wash produce before it's put away....just in case little hands eat without washing.(or complain about it) Which actually makes me think the drawers they go into need cleaning a bit more often too. Hmmm.....
Were you listening Nani? Moral here is......WASH YOUR PRODUCE PEOPLE!
Wednesday, November 15, 2006
To wash or not to wash
That's my story and I'm stickin' to it! :) Tracie at 4:00 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 Comments:
Post a Comment