Friday, March 05, 2010

Tuesday's Endo visit

Well, Tuesday was 'report card' day.


I thought the mailed results from last time said 8.2, but the doc had 8.3 in the computer. Hmmm. Either way, it's up from the 8.0 before that. Squish the fantasy of the 7's!!!! Stupid A1C.


Jessi's Dr. is great in that he thinks every other time to do the blood draw A1C is fine. No sense in torturing her.....by suggestion of the hubby.....so she lucked out this time. Not sure why the finger test A1C isn't done.....maybe it's a Kaiser thing? I'm sure I've asked before, but heck if I remember.


As Meri would say......diabetes overload. This is for you.....Oahu North Shore.



Hallie....this is where we hover in A1C's, Avery's doing great before the being sick thing.


But I learned something. He said the A1C's are a measure of the bg's AFTER the meals. Huh? I'm confused, I thought they were a measure of the last couple months? Well, they are, but it's the after meal bg's that effect the results of the A1C. So the better the after meal tests, the better the results are going to be because the control is better.

It's just that I had not heard it explained that way before and it suddenly 'clicked'. Don't get me wrong.....I know better control = better A1C, but for some reason, the light switch flipped. (ya'd think after 8 years.............) And suddenly I 'got it'. Talk about slow! I must've been on the shortest bus! :)~~~~


Her Insulin to carb ratio was changed from 18:1 to 15:1 and two of her basal rates were raised...the 3 pm and the midnight.


I was petrified. I kept thinking ....are you crazy? she's gonna drop....but she hasn't. And I am putting in the full carb counts. Ok, so far so good. (I don't know about ya'll, but sometimes I hold back on the carbs for fear of dropping.)


He also went over the hormone thing again. Ring a bell Jill? Right there with ya! Still not quite as advanced as Kacey though...hint, hint, nudge, nudge....we'll wait for that thank you very much!!! :) But I told him she does have some stankey pits! Yep, hormones. Can you believe she's actually already had her first pimple like a month ago? ......sigh......


And after all that uncertainty about basal changes.......she hasn't dropped yet. (jinx) In fact, she's been a little more in range, but a little more in the 200's as well. I haven't seen a 300 or higher. I guess that's good......but it doesn't seem like a huge change. Maybe my expectations were off key? Or maybe it takes more than 3 days? Or maybe it really is that hormone thing?



Who knows?! That's why this is SO FUN! If ya thought ya might be a little koo koo before.........now ya know your certifiable!



We have a few 'real estate' issues, but he chalked it up to sweating and said once summer rolls around thing'll heal way faster. She's not allergic to the adhesive like my cousins son Cale is (hi Andrea) but she's got some raw rashy spots. A little hydrocortisone and neosporin rotated should do it. If only she'd stop itching!!!


I told him about the site incident and he wondered why an alarm didn't sound. Then so did I. Hmmm........another thing to look into. The fun never ends! He also said usually a person can feel the leaking as well.....but she's so active....bouncing around all the time, can you say shoulda been a boy?.....that she probably didn't notice. It never happened before, so how would she know?


Ahhhhh........good times, good times.

3 Comments:

Wendy said...

Well, my friend, I think you're fantastic!

I was just telling my husband this morning that I'm convinced that, if we can get a handle on that post breakfast spike, we should be able to hover around 6.8ish.

Pre-bolusing has made a HUGE difference in Addy's A1c. H-U-G-E!!!!!! If I can get that insulin going 15 minutes before her first bite, man it's euphoria.

Unfortunately life gets in the way. Sigh.

And today's post breakfast result...

400.

Looks like we still have alot of work ahead of us.

So just know that you aren't alone, my friend.

The fight goes on...

Meri said...

Thanks for the picture my friend...the view is heavenly! (SIGH)

We have kaiser, and they do the finger stick a1c every time. Weird.

Horray for something clicking! It feels good once in awhile to finally say, "huh, oh! Now I get it!" (I have those moments all the time...you think I would retain information, but I am relearning things ALL the time.:)

Leighann of D-Mom Blog said...

Our endo does the finger poke A1C. We even use our own lancing device.

We have an endo appt in 2 weeks and I am curious to see what her A1C is. Last time she had only been on the pump a few weeks.

We have begun giving the correction before she eats and then the bolus when we see how much she will actually eat. I would have to think this keeps her post meal numbers a little lower.

It doesn't happen like this at school though. She gets the correction and bolus after eating (school nurse issues).

For raw skin after pump removal, we slather her with some Aquaphor. I hear that the hydrocortisone can thin the skin. The Aquaphor really helps heal my daughter's skin a little more quickly.

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online