Thursday, November 12, 2009

Diabetes Terminology

Jessi has been diabetic since she was 19 months old, she's now 9. Upon diagnosis, we were hit with all this medical terminology we weren't ready for. Not one bit. And having a little child try to understand all these big words was a joke. So as our life went on, we improvised, and made up our own terminology..............

checker..............glucose monitor

poker...........lancet devise

shot..............well, that obviously never changed, a shot is a shot

strips..............test strips

emergency shot.........glucogon

pump...........pump, creative right?

tubes...........pump tubing

nummer.........numbing solution for site changes

diabetes doctor..........endocrinologist

peepee strips...........keto strips

*ETA* ....remote control.........the ping glucometer (thanks Andrea, I forgot this one)

As we go through the day, we speak in terms like these.......

"Get the checker and check yourself" ......which leads to.....

"Check yourself before you wreck yourself" (the kids don't know this song and I don't remember who sang it)

"Put the strip in piano keys first" (used when teaching someone or when a friend is watching)

"Unplug yourself" (for unhooking the pump)

"Plug yourself back in" (for hooking up the pump)

A little boring, maybe, but it's how we speak around here. I'm sure I'm forgetting a few and they'll probably pop into my head right after I hit the post button. Murphy's Law.

If you're intersted in sharing your "diabetes speak" leave a comment, or better yet post about it on your blog. Just a little fun thing for our daily grind.

4 Comments:

Andrea said...

Here are ours...

ticker....lancing device (from the sound it makes)

Which leads to..."go tick yourself" for checking your BG

"Bring me your remote"...The omni pod PDM...it's like Cale is a vcr

I like saying in public..."Are you high?" after Cale "ticks" himself

If my mind were clearer, I could think of more. I will post as they come to me (don't hold your breath!!!)

Meri said...

We call our blood sugar monitor, "The sugar." Do you have "Your sugar?" "Where is the sugar?" I think my oldest established this when he was 2.

We call the lancet "The poker" and we call the pump serter, "The rocket."

We also often ask in public, "Were you high." I always winse after I say this within earshot of a stranger.

On a side note...we call our remote control to the TV "The Push." :)

Shannon said...

I LOVE asking her if she is high! I giggle every time!

We call her meter her tester.
Her Endo Dr. Chad (that is his first name)
The strip solution the fake blood
Her lancet the poker
a bolus for a high a correction
her anniversary of DX the Double D Day
And diabetes in general we call the monster.

LOL!

Leigh said...

This is cracking me up! We also say "Go check yourself before you wreck yourself".

Other than that I can't think of anything else except that her pump she calls pumpy.

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online